I don’t really think there’s such thing as a “new me” as I believe we all maintain our individual personalities throughout the years. However, I do think there can be an improved version of me. And that’s what I’m hoping for this year. It’s not that I’m not happy with myself, or where I’m at – it’s quite the opposite actually. I’ve been thinking about it the past few days and realized that I am the happiest I have ever been. I have GAD – General Anxiety Disorder – and in years past, I feel like it took a toll on my life. I’ve been unhappy or anxious or somewhat depressed at several different points in my life. This year was not one of those, and I am so grateful for that! But even though I’m happy, I still want to do more with my life. I guess I could make resolutions about this, but I’m not big into those. The only resolution that I’m really going to put out there, is that I want to give up soda. This (right now) doesn’t include red bull, but I need to cut back on that as well. I’m not a huge soda drinker in the first place so I don’t think this will be all that hard. I’ve just come to the conclusion that there is no benefit in me drinking soda. It’s wasted calories. I much prefer to drink a glass of water or milk.
Other things that I hope for myself this year are:
1) To try to find fulfillment in my current job or look for a new position that I can be passionate about
2) Volunteer at least a few times throughout the year – I’d like to do tutoring or mentoring or something along those lines.
3) Spend more time focusing on my friendships – all of my friends are spread out and this can be hard. I hope that I can spend more time with friends regardless of how far they are. I need to make the effort to make trips to visit college friends at LEAST once this year. I also want to spend more time with my girlfriends (possibly start a book club!) and get to know other friends even better.
4) Visit my mom more – She only lives 45 minutes away. There’s no reason for me to go a month without seeing her!
5) Read more books – I’d like to try to read at least two books per month. I think this should be easy!
6) Keep up with my blog – I’ve been blogging more and more recently, and I’m happy about that. I love being able to look back at my blog and see what I’ve been doing or what I was thinking. I hope that starting off the first day of the year with a blog post will help me with this goal!
7) Go on more dates with Noah – I think because we did so much traveling throughout the year, we didn’t do a lot of date nights or “couple-y” things. This year I want to go on more dates (regardless of what we’re doing) and go hiking/camping at least a few times.
I’m going to end with 7 because it’s a lucky number. There are of course more things I hope for myself this year (eat healthier, exercise more, pay off debt, the usual) but these are some of the most important ones I want to focus on.
And, I’m going to try to post one picture every day for 366 days, so here is the first one….
What are your hopes for yourself in the new year?