My brother’s girlfriend made these a few weeks ago when they had us over to their new apartment for the first time. They’re SO good and very easy to make! I can’t call it spanakopita, because it’s really just a knock off version so I like to call Spankopita instead. The great thing about this recipe is that you can alter it however you like. If you aren’t big on garlic, put less in. Or more if you are. If you don’t like goat cheese, leave it out and just put in a little extra ricotta. You could add other veggies or spices if you wanted too.
What you’ll need:
- 2 6oz bags of baby spinach leaves (chopped)
- ricotta cheese (2-3 tbsp)
- goat cheese (2-4 oz)
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
- Pillsbury crescent rolls
To make the filling:
1. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large pan
2. Add garlic and S&P and mix well
3. Add chopped spinach
4. Stir until wilted/dark
5. Drain the spinach in a colander
6. Add ricotta and goat cheese, mix well over low heat until cheese is melted
7. Remove from heat for 10-15 mins, in this time roll out the crescent rolls onto a baking pan
8. Fill the large end of the roll with the spinach filling then roll it up, making sure to pinch the sides as closed as possible
9. The package says 10-12 minutes at 375 but you can bake them a little longer. Ours were in for almost 20 mins and they still could have used more time…but that’s because we have a REALLY crappy oven
10. Let them cool for a few minutes and eat them while they’re still warm. ENJOY!
Noah told me this picture wasn’t necessary….I highly disagree!
NOTE: I only used one package of rolls and about half the filling. I saved the other half in a tupperware so that I can make another batch for dinner tomorrow night.